March 20, 2011

I should have played it cool....

You should know I don't have a poker-face...at all.  Want to know what I'm thinking or feeling just look me in the eyes.  This can be a good or bad thing depending on the situation, this weekend it turned against me.

And so the story begins: V's grandparents always do corned beef and cabbage for St Patrick's Day, for many years V and I have gone over to their house (along with V's parents, siblings, aunts, uncles cousins and cousin's children).  It's always a full house and I always chuckle a little because of those among us I'm the only one with even the slightest bit of Irish blood, they are almost entirely Norwegian.  This year V was pretty tired and wanted to skip out but I wanted to go, we don't see a ton of his grandparents who are well into their 70s at least.  Off we journey, to their house ten minutes away....

We all enjoyed a nice meal and chatted, afterwards we moved to the living room so the children (cousin's kids about 3 and 5 years old) could be playful.  I sat on the sofa, mom-in-law sat next to me (hoping to feel the baby kick) and V sat next to her.  V's dad and brother were across the room chatting and everyone else was more near the kitchen.  Apparently I was rubbing my belly (I'm always rubbing it, I'm that pregnant girl who always rubs her belly).  I caught V looking at me with a grin and I said "what?" he replies "are you trying to get [baby's first name] to kick?"  Insert me flashing him a look of utter shock on my face and me saying V's full name in shock.  Mom-in-law looked at me in shock, "what?!?"  It was too late they had heard the name we have chosen, and use at home, for our son.  I swore mom--in-law, dad-in-law and bro-in-law to secrecy, here's hoping they abide by our wishes.  I was quite clear telling them "I love you but I will be incredibly upset for a very long time if you tell anyone!"
I can relate to this guy! (image car of google)
In hindsight I should have played it cool and pretended it was just another name V was using.  After all baby has had a billion nicknames thus far but I reacted and it was far too late.  Part of me hopes that they will forget but I'm guessing that is nto something you would forget, darn!!!

So you are probably wondering what baby's name is, sorry folks still keeping it in as much as possible.  Only about 12 more weeks and he'll be here.  All I can say is thank goodness V didn't say his middle name too, all hope would be lost!

No comments:

Post a Comment