August 18, 2010

Praying Specific Prayers

I'm reading this book you probably never heard of called "Eat, Pray, Love" Hopefully it will gain popularity soon....oh wait....anyway. I'm currently in the middle of the Pray section, it's a bit slow going for me, I'm hoping the Love part is as good as the Eat part.

While the author's "spiritual" beliefs do not line up with mine (nor do they have to) I do think she has some rather valid points relative to faith. The beginning of Chapter 58 (of 108) and in the middle of the Pray section the author discusses prayer, how she has started praying for specific and deliberate prayers because "it has occurred to me that it's not much use to send prayers out to the universe that are lazy." While my prayers go to a very specific place, nay person (Jesus) I can see what she means. Later she says "prayer is a relationship, half the job is mine. If I want transformation, but can't even be bothered to articulate what, exactly, I'm aiming for, how will it ever occur?" and further "Prayers can become stale and drone into the boring and familiar if you let your attention stagnate." I agree, for the most part. I don't believe that my God is a wishing well, however I know for certain that he hears our prayers and will answer them (usually in "yes", "no" or "wait" in my experience). I believe it's vital to lift up specific prayers to God, and if there is only one thing on your mind, say like oh.....wanting to get pregnant...then you should lift that prayer up to him continuously, even when it's hard to pray, even when you don't want because you already asked, or he already knows lift it up anyway, pour out your heart and soul! He longs for it, for that relationship and connection! It's been my experience that he won't always answer how nor when you want to but in retrospect it's always better and perfect.

Ive been guilty of the lazy prayer, often just saying "your will God", while that is ok I have realized it's important to be specific and build that relationship with him, reaching out and asking for exactly what is on your heart. So I have been taking my won advice for awhile now, I pray continuously throughout each day, they may been just one sentence prayers and lately have been about the same topic (can you guess?) but I've been specific "God, please allow us to get pregnant this month", "God please bless us with a pregnancy this month." and so on and so forth. I wish I could tell you my prayers have been answered but I don't get know if they have (see chart now located at the top of this blog). My prayers may not be answered because God's will for me may be different but I will not regret pouring out my heart to him in this specific way.

No comments:

Post a Comment