February 8, 2013

In Other News: Time to Start Training

This week I had a horrible nightmare about my upcoming Half Marathon in Portland on May 19th.  Essentially everything went wrong in the most bazaar ways.  I woke up with my heart pounding and feeling as though I had not slept a wink. Maybe my brain knew training way coming?

This morning I received an email the the course route had been revealed.  Not a huge deal since I live out of state, it's not like I can train on the course but it is nice to know.  It looks like it will be beautiful!  Then I got to thinking, I threw out my old training plan but had written a good guideline in my planner at work, How many weeks do I have before I need to get on it?  None, well this week.  Training officially, and gradually, starts next week. Holy Moly!  Reality set in big time!  My boss is doing several races so we chatted about how nervous we are, it's nice to have her to bounce ideas off of.

The moral of the story; I'm not too worried.  I can go out today and do 5 miles with relative ease (my current pace is: 11:36-11:00). I'm about 40% of the way there, not too shabby.  Don't get me wrong I will have to work for the other 8.1 miles but I feel like I can do this.  I've been cross-training , Hello Bodycombat, which I believe is helping immensely.  And having done my first race under a year ago I feel like I have a good grasp on my body (what it needs, what helps etc).

Who else is doing a race soon?  How are you feeling?
-Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment